Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

Save this recipe for Christmas. It was sent to me by my friend, Kathy Goodyear. It was given to Kathy by Mrs. Evelyn Harwood at the cottage on Hawk Lake, Ontario, during the summer of 1980.

RICH CHRISTMAS PUDDING.

I lb. seedless raisins
½ lb. sultanas
½ lb. currants
½ lb. candied peel
½ lb. glace cherries
Juice and rind of one lemon
Juice and rind of one orange

½ lb. flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp mixed spice
½ lb. bread crumbs
½ lb. Demerara sugar
1 lb. chopped suet
8 eggs
1 bottle of Guinness
½ cup brandy

Method: Combine the ingredients in a large bowl, cover and let stand overnight. Add more Guinness or brandy if mixture is not of dropping consistency.

Pour pudding into greased earthenware bowls and cover with grease proof paper or greased brown paper, tie down tightly and steam the small bowls for about 6 hours and one large bowl for about 8 hours.

Steam the puddings in a large steaming kettle with a holding rack or on a rack in a large Dutch oven prepared with boiling water. Cover the kettle and keep the water simmering to about half way up the bowls. Mrs. Harding prefers to put the kettles with the puddings into a 300 degree oven. Add water if necessary.

Advice from me: Christmas cakes and puddings improve if they are prepared at least one month before using them. I used to wrap my cakes in cloths dipped in sherry, then with Saran wrap and then with foil. They will keep for months and months.

This is my last recipe on A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE – with recipes. I may return when I receive more recipes to share. Thanks for coming by. Anita
www.anitabirt.com

2 comments:

Abigail Wise said...

Yummy! I'll have to try it out.

Anita Birt said...

Thanks. I'm sure you'll enjoy the pudding. Make yummy Hard Sauce,laced with rum, to go with it. Enjoy