Tuesday, November 13, 2007

LOVE


That's right. This blog and future blogs (if there's an interest in the topic) will deal with the fascinating phenomenon of LOVE. How does it happen? To whom does it happen? What happens next? How do you find it?
Falling in love at first sight seems more dream-like than real. Is it a figment of a romance author's mind or does it happen to ordinary people leading ordinary lives who are surprised when love strikes them and they aren't sure what to do next?
It happened to my husband's cousin, Jill. She was engaged to be married. Her fiance was out of town and Jill's sister, persuaded Jill to go with her to a local dance. No big deal, so Jill went along to please her sister. She was standing with a group of friends when a young man walked over and asked her to dance. During the dance he said, "I'm going to marry you." This is a true story played out exactly like that gorgeous song from the musical South Pacific, One Enchanted Evening. He saw her across a crowded room and fell in love. They did marry and are still happily married with children.
A young woman stepped off the train at a small railway station in Alberta and was greeted by an elderly gentleman. She turned to pick up her suitcase and a male passenger saw her. It was like a lightning strike. Instead of going on to his destination, he got off at the next station and caught the next train back to where he had seen the girl and began asking questions. He did find her and asked her to marry him! Love at first sight really does happen. Yes, they married when the girl was sure of her feelings.
Confusion reigns when love suddenly comes calling. A whole new range of emotions disturbs the judgement of men used to dealing with manageable facts. Walking away isn't an option. Imagine the mindset. Fall in love with a stranger? Impossible. It only happens in romance novels. Not true. It happens in real life. Check it out with your friends. How did you fall in love?
I know it happened to a dear friend of mine, now gone to join her beloved Tom wherever lovers hang out when they leave this world.
My question. Is this a male phenomenon? Do women fall in love at first sight? In my not very scientific research, it's a male thing. What do you think? If you're interested in persuing the subject, please write to me at, anita.birt@gmail.com. I will not use your real name if you prefer to remain anonymous. Tomorrow I'll feature hugs, warm fuzzies and cold pricklies.
I leave you with the two lines of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's beautiful poem, How do I love thee? "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."
Thanks for spending time with me.
Anita

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I do believe in love at first sight - many moons ago in happened to me. But, it did not last for many, many reasons...and I think that's what it's all about - sudden, wild passion that maybe just is lust in the end