Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Speak to me of love ...




"Speak to me of love and tell me those words that I long to hear ..." This is a very old love song. My mother used to sing it so I learned all the words listening to her. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and there are red boxes shaped like hearts in the shops. Valentine cards are everywhere. It's a deluge of hearts and flowers. Red roses are at a premium and have gone up in price. That's okay. The growers work hard to bring the roses to us. Did you know that a lot of roses come from Kenya? Imagine flying flowers around the world and have them arrive looking good. If I flew around the world I'd be drooping and losing my petals.

Poem time: Robert Burns. "A Red, Red Rose." O my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie, that's sweetly play'd in tune! (He promises to love her until the seas run dry) The last verse.
"And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile."

My Scottish heroine in my historical romance (in revision and untitled) sings this song sadly and tears fill my eyes as I listen to her voice inside my head. She's remembering her mother and her father. They lost everything during the highland clearances. Orphaned and alone, she has to make her way in the world. But ...

Because I love his poetry I'm adding a bit of Dylan Thomas. Not a love song but who cares. His language is so wonderful. Here's the first verse of Fern Hill.
Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs,
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
The night above the dingle starry,
Time let me hail and climb.
Golden days in the heydays of his eyes.
And honoured among wagons I was prince of the apple towns.
And once below a time I lordly had the trees and leaves,
Trail with daisies and barley,
Down the rivers of the windfall light.

Do you have a favorite poem or love song that moves you? I'd enjoy hearing from you.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Burns! But in my family, you have to love Yeats! LOL. Both are favorites of mine, as well as Thomas.

Here's a bit of fanciful poetry, to set a fire in the mind from a friend of Mr. Yeats, George Russell.

"When the quiet with a ring of pearl shall wed
And the scarlet berries burn dark by the stars in the pool;
Oh, it's lost and deep I'll be amid the Danaan mirth,
While the heart of the earth is full."