Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Armistice Day - In Flander's Fields

LEST WE FORGET

In Flander's Fields the poppies grow between the crosses,
Rrow on row to mark our place
and in the sky, the larks still bravely singing fly, scarce heard amidst the guns below.
We are the dead. Short Days ago we lived, Felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie in Flander's Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe,
To you, from failing hands we throw the torch.
Be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flander's Fields.

The poem was written by a Canadian doctor, John McCrae who served in World War I. He was killed later in the war.
I wrote the poem from memory! I learned it in Grade Eight and have never forgotten it.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

2 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

I wish this was still part of the curriculum, regardless of nationality. Thanks for reminding me of it, Anita.

Anita Birt said...

Memory work was part of schooling when I was a kid. Goodness know how much stuff I have tucked away in my brain. Whole speeches from Shakespear!