Friday, July 3, 2009

Newspapers

I am asking all Goddesses and readers of this blog if you have a daily newspaper delivered to your home? I am deeply concerned at the numbers of important newspapers crashing in the United States. Seattle has lost its daily paper. To me, it will be a sad day to see the demise of newspapers.

I am a newspaper junkie! I get three daily news papers every day except Sunday when I only get one. Without a newspaper I don't know how anyone follows world events in depth. The snappy little clips on television only skip the stories.

I enjoy reading the columnists. The editorial content is slightly different in Canada's two national newspaper. The Globe and Mail tends to be liberal in its focus. The National Post is slightly more right wing. During Federal elections they have reporters travelling with the parties and candidates, makes for interesting reading. The third paper I receive is The Times Colonist, published in Victoria. It reflects the happenings on Vancouver Island and the mainland of British Columbia.

Yes, I find time to write. Without my daily newspaper fix I'd feel lost. Even when Bill and I travelled abroad, I picked up English language papers. Never any news about Canada except for the hockey scores during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Have you seen the trailer for my book? It's on YouTube and my Facebook page.

I hope you have time to comment about news papers. I fear for our democratic way of life if we lose these important bearers of information.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

3 comments:

Teri Thackston said...

Hi, Anita,
I agree that newspapers are important and it's sad to see so many going under. I read the Houston Chronicle everyday...not every article, of course, but quite a few of them. I have found that newspaper reports seem more slanted than they used to be and I wish they would return to a fairer brand of reporting. But it's relaxing to get away from the computer for a while.

Anita Birt said...

Thanks for your comment, Teri. I don't read every word in the three newspapers I get but really dig into long essays and good reporting by columnists. The editorials are usually worth reading as well.

The first thing I read in all three papers are letters to the editor! It's amazing what I learn from reading those letters.

Lee McKenzie said...

Anita, on one hand I share your dismay over the disappearance of newspapers. On the other, I must confess that I no longer subscribe to any.

I didn't have time to read them, cover to cover, and I was dismayed by the amount of paper that needed to be recycled.

I do watch some TV news, but I now get most of my news online. In these days of laptops and wireless Internet, its easy to sit in a comfy chair, read the news, and not have to make a trip to the recycling bin.

And while newspapers may become a thing of the past, good journalism will always be with us. I hope!