Saturday, December 5, 2009

LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE

I am so sad. No one comments on my brilliant blogs and I am trying hard to lure you in. Where are you? Having got that off my chest and taking a deep breath I have decided to please myself and if you care to join in and comment, be my guest.

Yesterday, the back page of the front section of The Globe and Mail featured an advertisement for the "iPhone 3G." The head line read: "16 new ways to make life a little easier." Each new way was listed down the sides of the iphone 3G with lines leading to each icon on the phone. "Wine Ph.D" "Local Concerts" "ESPN sore Center" "Epicurious." This one is Free. " Can't decide on dinner? Get Epicurious recipes right now on your iPhone..." And on they go. And to tempt you further to buy the phone. "...there are over 90,000 apps for just about anything, only on the iPhone." My head hurts thinking about 90,000 apps.

As I studied the advertisement I wondered about choices and how 16 new choices made life easier. New gadget after new gadget appears in the market distracting everyone from paying attention to being alive. When did iPhones and Blackberries and the like swamp the senses of the users so they have no time to turn off the gadgets, step outside the door, breathe the air and look around.

Human bodies need exercise if they are to remain healthy. People need people. We need others to pay attention to us - not via the gadgets or the Internet but in person, in real time.

An iPhone 3G can't give me a hug nor can a Blackberry cheer me if I'm sad or laugh with me over the antics of squirrels cavorting on a tree or take time to listen to the birds or studying shiny new cars in a showroom.

Choices. How do I choose to live my life? How do you? Would 16 new choices make you feel better? Comment if you dare.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: