Thursday, June 13, 2013

Anita Birt's Note book and other stuff

My mystery novel is progressing. I've never written a mystery and keeping the story alive and interesting means keeping the characters interesting. It also means keeping the story on the move, going from one incident to the next and tying them together.

The thing is, tying them together is not as simple as it seems. Lots of threads to weave into a pattern that holds together. But threads have a nasty habit of shaking loose, especially when a new development comes into play and the threads want to take part.

Because it's not bloody and murderous and characters are civil in their dealings, except when one of them runs amok, tries to hold one of my protagonists hostage. She saves herself by whacking him over the head with a paperweight. I may have told you this in an earlier post. Senior moments come and go.

All is well in this part of the world. No floods. No tornadoes. No hurricanes. No bush fires. Living by the sea has its advantages. We have unpredictable weather. Warm and sunny in the morning. A wind picks up in the late afternoon. It gets chilly.

As for getting old. I touched on that some time ago. Seems being an aged person is nothing these days. A friend turned one hundred a couple of months ago. Big party. Family visiting from all parts of Canada. And now. She carries on as if being one hundred is no big deal. She is in pretty good health and eats well. What more could one ask?

Another issue that bugs some of us. We old folks are costing the health system a lot of money. At the end of our lives we are a drag on society. So what are we to do? Leap into the cold water I see from my window! Leap out  the window! Slash wrists with dull blades. Deliberately fall down stairs. 

Gruesome thoughts. Forget I wrote them. I figure as long as I'm paying my fair share of taxes, I'm not bleeding the system, so to speak.

Happy Father's Day all  you fathers and grandfathers and granduncles. You are fabulous. I send a happy hug. Buy Dad one of my romance novel.  He'll enjoy, A VERY DIFFICULT MAN.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: