Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Colourful sayings - Colloquialisms



I heard a funny one on Corner Gas. This delightful sitcom (no laugh track!) set in the mythical town of Dog River, Saskatchewan, where, "There's not a lot going on," is their theme. The other night on a repeat, Oscar said to Hank, "you couldn't win a foot race with a fish." In another episoade, Emma, Oscar's wife, said to him, "A dog wouldn't lick you if you were covered in gravy."

Corner Gas has been picked up by a number of small television stations in the United States. I hope some of you get a chance to see it. It's addictive!

Those aren't exactly colloquialisms but they are colourful and funny. Here's a sample of what I mean by colourful sayings with a wish in them. My mother was Scottish. "Lang may your lum reek." Translation. "Long my your chimney smoke." This harks back to the time when many people were poor and often had no coal for their fires. Smoke coming from a chimney was a good sign. Food could be cooked. Water could be heated. And the family would be warm.

I think this sailing one came from my father who was born and raised in a fishing village in Newfoundland. "Long may your big jib draw."



We had a friend who came from Oklahoma. When he was tired, he'd say, "I feel like I've been rode hard and put up wet."

In my book, Isabelle's Diary, you'll find Welsh expressions and myths about new moons, the colour green and a story about an unidentified skeleton.

I know there are millions of colourful expressions of which I know nothing but would be interested in reading some of them. So readers of my Blog, send me a few of yours. Especially if you live in the southern United States. You are blessed with words that sing. So sing to me.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: