Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Anita Birt's Note book

Promises. Promises. I did say I'd talk to myself about how the first paragraph of a book will draw me in. I forgot but will pick up a book now. The book is "tinkers," by Paul Harding. he won the Pulitzer prize. Here is how the books starts.

"George Washington Crosby began to hallucinate eight days before he died. From the rented hospital bed, place in the middle of his own living room,, he saw insects running in and out of imaginary cracks in the ceiling plaster .." I could not resist such a beginning. "tinkers" is a gentle read about George's past and his connection with his father who was a tinker. I love the story and the wonderful writing.

I have purchased John L Carre's (can't find the French accent on my computer!) Our Kind of Traitor but I am pulled in by a kind of throw-away line at the end of the first paragraph. He is describing a tennis match between an Englishman and a Russian at seven o'clock in the morning on the Caribbean island of Antigua.

Here's the quote I found interesting. "How this match came about was quickly the subject of intense examination by British agents professionally disposed against the workings of chance."

British agents? How could I not jump straight into the book.

Those are my musing for this day. Great wind and rain storms have battered Vancouver Island for two days. Time for a weather change with some warming sun.

Anita

No comments: