Friday, December 14, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book

I read in the paper to-day about a man who can recall 59 decks of playing cards. I have trouble imagine any thing more boring than inviting this man to a party where he will demonstrate his skill. I'd have to drink myself under a table, clamp my hands over my ears and prayer for deliverance. There are worldwide contests where memory skills are tested. Who knew? To prepare for memory Olympics means practicing hours every day.

"It's your turn to take out the garbage, dear." Says wife in a caustic tone.
"Damn it all, you've made me lose my memory thread."
"Stuff your memory thread," says wife storming out the door. "I'm of to Vegas for a quickie divorce. The man next door is going with me."
"No, No," cries her husband. "I'll come with you.to memorize the numbers played and work out the winning permutations."

Why remember numbers when learning speeches from a Shakespeare play is much more interesting. Or a poem. Or the Gettysburg address. My favourite poem at the moment is by A.A. Milne, "King John's Christmas."

"King John was not a good man,
He had his little ways,
And sometimes no one spoke to him,
For days and days and days."

I am on the fourth verse. Pick out something to learn. Something to refresh your memory. And let me know how you are doing. No prizes only Christmas greetings and a virtual hug.

You are, I hope purchasing my books. A book is a wonderful gift. Better than a box of chocolates! We won't go there. Or how about a book and a box of chocolates.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: