Friday, December 28, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book

December 28, 2012.


To-day I have attached my new licence plate decal to my car. It's a fiddly little job. I wash off the place for the decal and make sure it's clean before sticking on the new one. And that is my excitement for to-day. I had a good long walk and the weather is grey and drear with a chilly breeze. I'm looking forward to spring already and winter has barely started.

However, there is a gorgeous rhodo bush in full bloom at the edge of Beacon Hill park. A treat for my eyes. I didn't see a single pelican to-day. If they had an ounce of sense they'd be flying south to warmer climes.

I am planning to comment on how south Wales seemed to me when I lived there in 1944. Nothing much had change in the small village of Penpedairheol from where my husband lived there as a boy. The mines were still operating and I was shocked to see teenaged boys coming home from the colliery covered in black coal dust. Pit head baths were a novelty, their eventual arrival was much appreciated by the miners' wives. No more bath tubs to scrub clean. If the house had a bath tub?

More of that another time. If any Welsh men and women read this, I'd like to hear from you. When oil was discovered in the North Sea the coal mines gradually closed. A huge life change for miners and their families.

I hope you are buying my books and making me happy. I'm not writing romance novels now and am  in a bit of limbo wondering what to write next. The urge to create stories is still there but finding the right focus is my problem.

If you are Welsh, do tell me your story. If you leave a comment I shall send you my e-mail address to read your story.

I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year. 2014 is just around the corner. Time flies.

Anita
www.anitabirt.c

No comments: