Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Romantic Novels




On January 4th, a small newspaper in Wales published a very nice article about my Isabelle books. Matthew Jones who wrote the article headed it, ROMANTIC NOVELS SET IN OLD SPA TOWN." The "old spa town" is Llandrindod Wells where the stories are set. Isabelle's Diary is a contemporary romance with a paranormal twist and Isabelle's Diary is a historical romance, 1896-1900, the story of the girl who wrote the diary. I have previously posted excerpts of both books on my blog or check my web site for excerpts.
Finding readers and keeping them. Wit and humor on my blog might catch readers' attention. I'm a bird watcher. If there are bird watcher's out there drop by and tell me about your latest find. As I look out my window I am seeing mobs of crows circling a neighbor's garden. Earlier a gang of herrring gulls was screeching around the garden. We have a neighbor who feeds them! I have spoken to the man. I have written him a letter asking him to stop. I contaced the by-law office at city hall. There is no law against feeding gulls and crows. But the left over bread draws in rats. Victoria is a port city. Rats can be a problem. Two of my neighbors had rats invade their homes. Yes, the rats are here and feeding them makes them fat and sassy and they like nothing better than finding comfortable living quarters with no predators to bother them. Except for the Rat Man, as I call him, who comes with traps and lures to capture and ... I assume he kills them.
I admit crows are smart and adaptable. Victoria has a huge crow population. During their nesting seasons it's frightening to walk under their nesting trees. The damned nests are way high up but the crows protect them by dive bombing anyone walking below. I had a couple of crows chase me up the street until I reached the safety of our driveway.
So, who has bird feeders? We have Anna's hummingbirds feeding all winter. If the temperature dips below freezing I have to bring their sugar/water feed into the house to thaw it. Watching birds is a simple pleasure, unless they are crows and gulls. Wit and humor? Not much on this blog but hang in there and come by again. Smile.
Anita

1 comment:

Anny Cook said...

We have gulls here, usually in the grocery store parking lots. Goodness knows why they hand out there.

Good luck and congrats with your newspaper article. That is soooo cool. May you get many readers from it.