Monday, October 5, 2009

Once Upon A Time

Once upon a time, in my previous life in Toronto, I trained as a human relations counsellor. I wasn't the published author you know me now. In the midst of downsizing from a large home to a small apartment I have come across long hidden files about my early work.

QUESTIONS. Why do we ask them? I offer a good rule of thumb to anyone interested. Before you ask a question, know what you are going to do with the answer.

I'm thinking of the opening line in one of my, as yet unpublished manuscripts.

"You will, of course, accept."

Right of the blue her boss has asked her to marry him! What a question. He expects her to say "yes."

Does she? Not a chance. She has questions of her own. Why her? Why not one of his society friends? Why?

His is a Command question and when she refuses he uses a little emotional blackmail to force her hand. Ah yes. What fun to write a romance where power resides in the hero's hands. Will this be a win/win? A win/lose? A lose/lose?

In the meantime, have you purchased any of my books from Cerridwen Press? That's a leading question. You don't have to answer unless you have purchased one of my books. My historical romance, AVERY DIFFICULT MAN, is available in trade paper back. Check my website for ordering information and information about my five books published by Cerridwen Press. Read Excerpts. Reviews. View the Covers.

Thanks for coming by.
Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: