Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rejections

Rejections are the spice of life for authors. They keep us from giving up unless ... I shall share my rejection story because it still warms my heart. Years ago my family visited and we embarked on a driving holiday down the west coast. On returning to my home, three rejections awaited me. I was devastated and ready to throw in the towel, never to write another word or send out another query letter or manuscript.

My granddaughter, Taylor, said nothing but when I went into my bedroom later in the day, she had pinned a note on my pillow. Here is what she wrote. She was nine or ten years old then.

Dear Grandma: I'm, very sorry you got rejected. I know how it feels. I got rejectedf from the co-ed basketball team even though I'm very good and so are you! So you got rejected a couple of times, big deal! Even the best seller writers got rejected at least 100 times. If you really don't think you are good at romance then try something else! I am very proud that my Grandma's an author! Remember in my fables, t he story, Dreamers? Well the moral is follow your dreams no matter what anyone says.If your dream is writing then so be it! Never ever, ever let me hear you say, give up! So keep your chin up and keep on WRITING!

Love you forever, Taylor

I continued writing and have had five romance novels published by Cerriwden Press. The first one published was a historical romance, A VERY DIFFICULT MAN.

Check out my web site: www.anitabirt.com for information about all my books. View the covers and excerpts.

Thanks for coming by,

Anita

No comments: