Friday, January 13, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book and Rant

I've been having fun researching information about my Atlantic Crossing August/September 1944

I sailed on the S.S. Ariguani out of Halifax on August 29 part of Convoy HX304

On September 6 an explosion lifted me off my bunk. We passengers were never told what had caused the explosion and all the thumps that continued. The captain forbade us to go out on deck. I now know why.

The Empire Heritage a steam tanker was struck my torpedoes. The Pinto, a  convoy rescue ship came to pickup survivors and it was torpedoed. The Empire Heritage carried 59 passengers plus a large crew. Few survived. A trawler, HMS Northern Wave rescued those who survived.

German U-Boat #482 Captained by Graf von Hartmut Matursky did not survive long after striking convoy HX304.. Two months later the Royal Navy attached and destroyed the submarine.

 I found it hard to believe that all this information from 1944 was so easily available. Our ship docked in Liverpool on September 10. Convoys can only travel as fast as the slowest ships. I believe we were doing 10 knots that's why it took two weeks to cross the Atlantic.

Another bit of information. The Ariguani was a small ship.425.2 feet long. 54.1 feet breadth. It could fit in a Canadian football field.

I am waiting to receive the print copies of my e-book, RING AROUND THE MOON. You can order from my publisher, Ellora's Cave. or Amazon.com or in Canada, Amazon.ca.

Enjoy life
Anita

www.anitabirt.com





No comments: