Saturday, August 11, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book

ATLANTIC  CROSSING, AUGUST/ SEPTEMBER 1944

My husband, a member of the Royal Air Force, trained in Canada as  Navigator. We had been married fourteen months when he was posted back to Britain and left Canada in May 1944. The war in the Atlantic was winding down. As a RAF dependent I had the opportunity to travel to Britain. I jumped at the chance.

* * * * *
I received the telegram on the second week of August. "Proceed to Halifax. Stay at The Nova Scotian Hotel. Await further orders. Tell no one about  your travel arrangements." I had my Canadian passport, warm clothing and a minimum amount of cash.

On August 27, orders came to taxi to the Halifax docks. On the way I couldn't see any ships' superstructure over the sheds. Little wonder, the S.S. Ariguani was a small ship about the size of the ferries that plied between Toronto harbour and the Toronto islands. It didn't look sea worthy. A white clad steward stood at the gangway.

"Is this ship safe?" I asked. Assured it was I boarded with other women, many with small children and some with babies. We gathered in the saloon.

More tomorrow!
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: