Monday, August 20, 2012

Anita Birt'sNote Book

HOW I LEARNED TO THINK LIKE A SHEEP
by Anita Birt

I learned to think like a sheep in a never-to-be- forgotten lesson. Many of us have watched sheep dog trials on television or  in the field as the border collies  herd sheep through gates or hold them in small groups.Well trained by their handlers the dogs have a natural instinct to round up sheep. Years later I saw a border collie herding chickens as they squawked and cackled at such an indignity.

Several years ago my husband and I were visiting relatives in Usk, Wales. Their property sweeps down to the Usk River. Deep, wide and calm during the summer, it turns into a raging torrent when winter rains raise the river high and it overflows it banks.

On a bright sunny day we walked with the family along the river path. I hopped and skipped with five year old Christopher stopping every few steps to pick up stones and toss them into the water. Megan,  a black and white border collie belonging to the family joined us and  circled back and forth. Without warning she ran on ahead, turned to face us, flattened herself on the path and stared into my eyes. Unblinking.

The look in her eyes frightened me.  I felt menaced, afraid to move. .I didn't know what to do. For seconds I stood their holding Chris's hand. What did Megan want? I turned away from the river, walked into a field bordering the family property and headed towards the house. Megan jumped up, gamboled along side us and then ran off to join the rest of the family following behind.

And that's how I learned to think like a sheep. No sheep in its right mind disobeys a border collie. Nor did I. I recognized the menace in Megan's eyes and figured out what she wanted me to do., figured out what was troubling her. I was waking too close to the river with Chris. She was protecting  him.

Anit
www.anitabirt.com


1 comment:

Shereen Vedam said...

Wonderful story, Anita :)