Sunday, November 18, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book

This is a good night to stay home and read a book or watch an old movie (if you are older than  seventy or eighty!)

A howling wind is beating against my window and is threatening to bring down trees and cancel ferry sailings and whatever other nasty things this kind of storm brings. My bridge game was cancelled this evening because one of the players thought it best to stay home.

I am reading a book titled, "How to talk about books you haven't read." Very enriching. There are thousands of books I shall never live long enough to read so I shall pretend to have read "War and Peace," or "The Origin of The Species," etc.

I was playing Scrabble with friends this afternoon and put in the word, "eft," of which they had not heard and I couldn't remember the meaning but looked it up in my Oxford dictionary after they left. An "eft,"is a newt of some kind and if you happen to have copy of "Now We are Six,"by A.A Milne, you will find a lovely poem called "Down By The Pond," Second verse.

 " No. I'm not, I'm newting." Don't cough, anybody, don't come by! Any kind of noise makes a newt feel shy..." and on it goes.

 I shall now watch The Baltimore Ravens play against Pittsburgh.  After reading The Blind Side  by Michael Lewis, I like to watch big No. 74, Michael Oher play left tackle for the Ravens. I've talked about the book in a previous blog. You don't have to like or watch football to enjoy the book. It's a great human interest story that touches the heart. It touched mine.

Back to reading "The Soucouyant," Or "Sharp's Devil," or watching the news. There are peace overtures in the escalating violence between Israel and The Hamas. Let's hope peace will break out. There is enough killing going on in Syria. What a horror story.

Pick up a copy of my romantic suspense novel, TOO YOUNG TO DIE  and enjoy a page turner. My book is available as an e-book and in trade paperback.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com











No comments: