Sunday, February 10, 2013

Anita Birt's Note Boook

I sometimes think there's a gremlin living with me when something odd happens. I have a messy desk beside my computer. I pile papers and stuff there  intending to sort it out, but the day never seems to come. Two days ago a picture of me printed off my computer turned up. Not a present day photo, a picture of me when I was eight years old. I am dressed in my fairy costume. All white frilly dress with a hat to match. I am holding up my wand and, I am sure I was reciting.

Even at eight I was a bit of a ham. I have mostly grown out of it. This what I loved to recite.

 "There are fairies at the bottom of our garden. The are not so very,very far away. You pass the garden shed and go on straight ahead ...The next lines escape me. Perhaps I missed a word or two. I remember reciting it a church functions, i.e. Thanksgiving suppers and the like.

The gremlin slid my picture from under the mess on my desk. Cute, I thought, and keep it right where I can see it. On each of my wrists I can see the silver bracelets my mother brought for me when we visited St. Vincent, in the Caribbean when I was six.

I still have the bracelets and wear them on my right wrist. A reminder of a long ago time when the world was a lot safer than it is now and my life was good.

Anita
www.anmitabirt.com


No comments: