Saturday, September 7, 2013

Anita Birt's Note Book and more

Have you picked up a copy of ISABELLE to enjoy two romance novels, one historical and one contemporary?

I've been reading manuscript pages all afternoon and my brain is tired and so am I. I have printed off copies of my mystery novel, The Ghost Writer Mystery, to edit before sending the manuscript to a professional editor before sending it out to publishers and agents hoping to catch a break. My story if very different. The protagonists are two interesting characters working to solve crimes taking place in and around a retirement residence.

I have a beautiful brand new great granddaughter, Caroline. She is adorable and smart, of course. All grandchildren and great grandchildren are smart. Sadly for me, Caroline and her parents live in England so I have to rely on lots of photos sent by e-mail and wait for Caroline and parents to fly here to visit.

We are going to have a small marketing event where I live to promote ISABELLE. Writers are often asked how they get their ideas. I remember very clearly how I decided to write ISABELLE'S DIARY.  A scene in a small cafe in the town of Llandrindod Wells did it for me. I was sitting in a cafe with my husband, we'd been on a walking holiday in Wales, and stopped for a coffee in the cafe on the main. street.

I noticed an older teenager sitting at a window table. She was dressed in black. Girls were wearing vintage clothing at the time, a bit of a lark. The girl kept looking out the window as if expecting someone.

Here's the scene I imagined. My heroine, Sally Carter, has stopped for coffee in the cafe and noticed a girl dressed in Victorian black sitting at the window table. She holds a diary in her hands. She weeps  as she turns the pages. Sally thought she should off help but she was distracted. When she looked again the girl had disappeared and the waitress insisted no one had sat at that window table all morning.

Who did Sally see weeping over the pages of a diary? You must buy ISABELLE to find out.

Anita Birt





No comments: