Saturday, May 17, 2014

ANITA BIRT - SPEAKING OUT

"Native women live in peril: RCMP report." There is an in depth article in the Globe and Mail detailing the problems native women have to deal with. Think about this:
 "Aboriginal women suffer from greater levels of violence than other women in Canada, leaving them more vulnerable to murder and brutality at the hands of their spouses, family members and acquaintances."

It seems to me the problems lie within the aboriginal communities. Why not start there to deal with the violence against women? I already imagine the arguments. "Native communities are still suffering from the abuses and pain from the Residential Schools." Their stories must never be forgotten. Never.

Is it not time to move on? Is the violence on the reserves related to the past suffering? How? It's not healthy to play the role of "Victim." Healing won't take place until the the future is faced. Playing the role of "victim," can act like an addiction. If I give up the role of "victim," who am I?

I'm a mere mortal with the concerns of a mere mortal.I refuse to take the blame for the past  injustices done to the native people. I wasn't there. What I can do is urge our federal government and the native chiefs to get their acts together and get the educational system on the reserves funded with money and educated staff. Our native children must be educated. Must be!

Millions of dollars have been poured into the reservations to no avail. Where has the money gone?

This sad story about murdered and missing aboriginal women begins where it started, where the women live. Yes, the police can do their work after the fact. Start by stopping the abusers.

Easier said than done. And so I leave you.

Anita Birt
www.anitabirt.com


No comments: