Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dragon Fruit


What goes around comes around. Early last summer I was carefully picking (with a little tongs) medijool dates from a display in my local supermarket when a young woman standing next to me asked, "Have you tasted dragon fruit?" I shook my head. "They're kind of ugly," I said, "and don't appeal to me."

She picked up a dragon fruit. "I'm going to try one." Luckily I had bookmarks with me advertising my historical romance, A Very Difficult Man. I gave her one and asked her to let me know how the dragon fruit tasted. She was returning home to Kelowna that evening and promised to get in touch.

She sent a note to my g.mail address. "Dragon fruit are dull and tasteless." That was months ago and I'd forgotten about dragon fruit. Last week I had a note from a woman named Donna who wanted me for a friend on Facebook. Because she had added her snail mail address I agreed to be her friend. Then I had second thoughts. I couldn't remember ever meeting anyone named Donna and e-mailed her back. Turns out Donna is my dragon fruit friend. I was delighted to link with her again.
There are the bones of a story here. A young man and woman meet over a display of dragon fruit. Why dragon fruit? Because they look wierd. Unnatural. A sure way to strike up a conversation with a pretty girl is to ask if she knows anything about them. Suppose she bursts into tears and runs out of the store. What if he races after her just in time to see her jump on her bike and pedal madly down the street. He's a marathon athlete and follows her at a distance until she wheels into a narrow alleyway between two deserted old brick buildings. When he catches up she has disappeared leaving her bike, the wheels still spinning. The alleyway has a dead end and there are no side doors on the buildings. What happens next? Be my guest. Send in your ideas. We'll have a continuing saga on the Tale of The Dragon Fruit.

In the meantime, I add my book covers to my Blog to encourage you to read an excerpt on my web site, or go to Google Alert and check out Isabelle's Diary or buy my books. It's up to me to publicize my books and encourage buyers to buy.


Anita




No comments: