Saturday, January 17, 2009

Promises to Keep


I vaguely recall a post from a couple of days ago when I promised to post the first pages of Isabelle's Diary. The cover is intriguing. I ran into a problem when I could not download any of my book. The copies were locked up and I haven't figured out how to break in.

My heroine, Sally Carter, does not believe in ghosts. She especially does not believe in ghosts that appear in broad daylight in a cafe in Wales. Ghosts haunt ancient castles on mountain tops. So she thought.

Something happened to change Sally's mind. She was drinking coffee in a small cafe in Llandrindod Wells when she noticed a young woman dressed in somber Victorian black sitting at a window table weeping over a diary. Sally turned away to pay the waitress and when she looked back the weeping girl had disappeared.

That's when Sally's ordinary world rocked. The waitress insisted no one had sat at the window table all morning.

As I write this I remember the scene that triggered my story, Isabelle's Diary. My husband and I had been on a walking holiday in Wales and stopped at a small cafe in Llandrindod Wells for a morning coffee. A young woman dressed in black sat at a window table drinking a Coke. She kept glancing out the window as if waiting for someone.

Immediately I changed the scene. The girl I imagined was dressed in Victorian black and wept over the pages of a diary. I imagined my heroine as the only person who could see the black dressed girl. The story evolved from that first imagined scene.

Spinning tales is what I do. I am finishing a contemporary romance with an interesting premise. It's a marriage of convenience with a twist or two in the plot. A little emotional blackmail goes a long way as my heroine, Suzanne Miller, discovered.

Thanks for dropping by.
Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: