Saturday, February 6, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

My friend, Marjorie Daniels sent me this. As you can see from her note, it's been a family favourite for over fifty years. It's a great family dish full of good healthy ingredients. Thanks for sending it, Marjorie.


RICE SOUFFLE (Saved from 1960’s era “Hints From Heloise” column in the Edmonton Journal newspaper. The column started with the words, “Is there a cloud above cloud 9?” I tried the recipe and it has been a family favourite ever since)

2 c. cooked rice (cold)
3 c. grated cheddar cheese
6 eggs (separated)
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter

Beat egg whites until stiff (fold in 1/8 tsp. crème of tartar while beating, to help hold the peaks)

In a separate bowl, mix all other ingredients.
Gently fold in beaten egg whites. (Don’t over-mix)

Pour into greased casserole (glass is best).
Cook 35-40 minute in 300-degree Fahrenheit oven.

A note from Anita: I have interesting recipes for you. Pumpkin Pickles is on its way. Possibly tomorrow. Please let me know if you are enjoying my blog and trying the recipes.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

2 comments:

Heather said...

This sounds like a good recipe. Will have to give it a try, have copied

You should visit Beth Fish Reads and link with her Weekend cooking feature.

Anita Birt said...

Thanks for the Beth Fish Reads link. I have contacted her via her blog.