Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

My friend, Jeanelle Mitchell, has a best selling cookbook, FOR THE LOVE OF SOUP. It is full of wonderful recipes to serve on cold wintry days or chilled soups for warm summery days.It's available where cookbooks are sold.

Jeanelle has a new cookbook, FOR THE LOVE OF SALAD. It will be available in stores on March 1st by Whitecap Books. Jeanelle will be on the Wellness show in Vancouver, April 30, May 1st and May 2nd, doing cooking demonstrations.I am ordering copies of FOR THE LOVE OF SALAD for members of my family and myself. I love salads and am always looking for something new to try.

Jeanelle was kind enough to send me a salad recipe from her new cookbook. I can guarantee it will be delicious and healthy.




Belgian Endive & Apple Salad
with Creamy Maple Dressing


4 to 6 servings



This is a lovely side salad that pairs well with pork or chicken.

It is also wonderful topped with crumbled blue cheese.

Apples are rich in pectin, a soluble fiber that helps lower cholesterol.



Ingredients



2 Tbsp (30 mL) low-fat plain yogurt

2 Tbsp (30 mL) low-fat mayonnaise

2 Tbsp (30 mL) real maple syrup

2 Tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp (30 mL) minced shallots

1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard

Sea salt and freshly ground pepper



3 Belgian endives, cut across the heads into rings

4 cups (1 L) mixed baby greens

2 Granny Smith or Gala apples, cored and cut in matchstick

½ cup (125 mL) chopped toasted walnuts



Preparation



For the dressing: whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, maple syrup, cider vinegar, shallots and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside or if making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Just before serving, place endives, baby greens, apples and toasted walnuts in a serving bowl. Toss with enough dressing to cover - you may not need it all.

Reading the ingredients makes my mouth water. To my readers, I'd love to hear from you. Have you tried any of the wonderful recipes I have posted? I have two recipes for shortbread from Ruth Farrow with a fun story to go with them. Watch for them in the next day or two.

Leave a comment below or send me your special recipe to share with others to: anita.birt@gmail.com

visit my web site: www.anitabirt.com to learn more about me and the books I have written.

Anita

No comments: