Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

As promised on my blog yesterday, here is the recipe for Pumpkin Pickles. Save this recipe for Halloween when pumpkins are available! Use your Jack-o-lantern unless it's smudged with black from the candle burning inside. The recipe takes time to make but is well worth the effort. My friend, Margaret (Margie) Slemon sent it to me.

Pumpkin Pickles

Peel the rind, and cut into 2 inch cubes.
Prepare syrup in this ratio:
5 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white sugar

In a gauze bag combine
1 tsp. cloves
1 Tbsp. cinnamon stick, broken
2 pieces crystallized ginger

Bring vinegar and sugar to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
Add spice bag and simmer 5 minutes. Add pumpkin and return to the boil.
Simmer uncovered 25 minutes, stirring often. Pumpkin pieces will look
partly opaque, but will all look the same after bottling. Remove spice
bag. Pack pumpkin into sterilized jars. Pour syrup on top to fill jars.
Seal. When serving, slice pumpkin cubes.

One medium-large pumpkin requires 4 times the ingredients, in 2 double
batches.

(Hope this makes sense) The note came with Margie's recipe.
Note to Margie. It makes perfect sense. Thanks for sending it.

I need more recipes for my blog. Please send them to me at: anita.birt@gmail.com and put Recipe on the subject line. I'm collecting them for my blog readers. Stay tuned.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

2 comments:

Laurann Dohner said...

Thank you! I copied this and it's ready for October! LOL.

Anita Birt said...

You will love Pumpkin Pickles. Let me know how they turn out. I think most of us love pickles of one kind or another.