Sunday, October 20, 2013

ANITA BIRT'S JOURNAL

 I have changed my title from "note book," to Journal. Don't ask. It felt right to make the change. I keep a personal Journal, no earth shaking revelations, no philosophical musings, a simple recounting of my day.

I have discovered a new author and am delighted to share him with you. NEIL GAIMAN. I read THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE.  Had trouble getting into the story. I wanted a PLOT. When I gave up looking for a plot I discovered the magic in Neil Gaiman's writing. The nine year old boy thrust into coping with changes in his family found a girl living on a farm down the lane with whom he had adventures and to whom he could discuss the evil woman come to keep house while his mother worked. His magical thinking detailed in the book is wonderful. Reminded me of my own long ago childhood.

THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is classified as a Child's Book. I could not put it down after reading the first few pages. A little toddler escapes from a murderous plot to kill his family. They are murdered but the kid makes  his way up the hill to the Graveyard. He creeps under the locked  gate, is picked up by Mrs. Lewis who cuddles him and persuades her husband to let her keep him.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis died a few hundred years ago and live in a crypt but they come out with other graveyard residents to pass the time of day and discuss what to do with the toddler. They name him Nobody Lewis. He is known to all the residents as Bod. THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is a wonderful read. Believe it could happen and enjoy the story of Bod as the story unfolds.

Unlike the wonderful story of ALICE IN WONDERLAND,  THE GRAVEYARD BOOK  has no political or clever references to nineteenth century issues popular at the time.

I lived with the story  of Bod from start to finish. I believed a live little boy was nurtured and cared for my people long dead who were able to live temporarily in the present. Bod lived in the comfort of their crypt. Ways and means were found to bring him food and eventually clothing. For years he contentedly wore a winding sheet.

Take your imagination with you and enjoy THE GRAVEYARD BOOK.

Anita Birt

No comments: