Monday, March 21, 2016

Anita Birt - Story Teller

People ask me where story ideas come from? They turn up unexpectedly. Not as often as they used to when I was younger and my brain had room for new stories. But stories abound. Like a bee buzzing here and there searching for nectar my brain wanders hither and thither until it knocks against something - and idea or I view a scene or a story in a newspaper and it's like magic, I puzzle over one or the other and something clicks.

All writers have vivid imaginations. They can imagine a scene and see what happens if a character, male or female walks into the scene and is, let us say, frightened. About what? Off you go feeling the fear, making it real for your character and start from there. Where is she/he in a city, out in the country on a ship climbing a tree digging a hole. Have your character doing something because she is afraid and can't stand around and do nothing.

In my book, Lady Mary and Death in a Canal Boat, she is searching for information about the dog that wandered into her garden. She is knocked almost off her feet when she smells the sickening smell of a decaying  body on the rental canal boat. That's all! Help me find a publisher.

I've been away from the publishing world for years now and don't know how to prepare a manuscript in the proper way, Seach for an agent? A hopeless task. I truly need someone to guide me through the process. My book is complete. I'll seek out my published friends. I've got another Lady Mary story working its way into a book. Writing is an addiciion! Once hooked there's no letting go. The stories keep coming and coming.

Anita

No comments: