Tuesday, March 22, 2016

ANITA BIRT - STORY TELLER

If you haven't read, "The Lost Carving," by David Esterley, your are missing one of my favourite tbooks of all time. David is a master wood carver, he and other like him can carve leaves, large and small, tiny flowers, stems and produce magic. When Hampton Court Palace was badly damaged in a fire much of the precious wood carvings were lost but many were saved, but in terrible condition from smoke and soot.

David is an American but has a world wide reputation as a wood cover. He and many British carvers were hired to do what they could to resore the damaged pieces. They were treasures carved by Brimley a century ago. A daunty task to emulate his work. David and the other carvers spent a year at the palace restoring the precious pieces damaged by fire and smoke.

David is not only a master wood carver he is a brilliant writer. So buy his book when you can and learn about his work and the other master carvers who worked with him at the palace. I'm buying an extra copy for myself and another for my family. I think it should be part of your library - if you have a library! I wish I had a library but I don't have space in my apartment so my book cases arre full to overflowing and I keep buying books. I have a Kindle but after using for a year or so I returned to buying books with covers, some small large, some small. I like the feel of  a book in my hands. 

I have gone through a book buying spree in the past week and I have stopped! No more room! Either I go or the books go. Time a browsed through my books and give some to the library in my retiremenrt building. My romance novels are in the library! A VERY DIFFICULT MAN is very popular.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: