Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dragon fruit

Funny how a new friend appears on the horizon. I was shopping in my usual supermarket and happened to stand beside a young woman holding a dragon fruit in her hand. If you haven't seen one, they are very odd looking. Not quite like a dragon but with twists and turns and little tendrils and they are pink and white with touches of green

She asked if I had ever tasted one. I said "no." She decided to buy it but before I parted company with her I gave her one of my bookmarks for A Very Difficult Man. She lives in Kelowna and was visiting Victoria. I heard from her. She asked how I began writing. I told her. She is an amateur photographer and is fascinated by broken down old barns, neglected farm houses. She is creating an album. I suggested she might want to think about the lives lived on those farms and create her stories. In her last e-mail she was poetically inspired to write about one of the farms.

Oops. I forgot. My first e-mail from her was about the dragon fruit. Very boring, she said. A soft white interior with little taste. Not an inspiring fruit when there are fresh strawberries available and black cherries (early and delicious) Next come raspberries, peaches, plums. We are blessed.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: