Monday, June 4, 2007

June

"June is busting out all over ..." and my hands have been in the dirt planting and planting and pulling weeds and I've been neglecting my Blog and my writing.

I have my own style of pulling a story together. I start off with a cast of characters in my head and briefly sketched in a file. I reach 15,000 or so words and things begin to happen - unexpectedly. This is when I have to go back and make changes in various scenes. One of the male characters has turned out to be a sociopath - not a nice person at all. When I first thought about him he was like the Prodigal Son returning from abroad to make amends to his family for leaving home and never writing.

I liked him until something scary happened to my heroine. One thing led to another and I now have a sociopath in the story. A charming young man to be sure. Instead of a simple Regency I have the makings of a mystery. Possibly a murder. Who knows? This is the fun part of writing. A character comes along and changes the direction of the story.

I'd love to hear from you. Comment on my Blog. Ask me anything - within reason!

Anita Birt
www.anitbirt.com

No comments: