Sunday, June 10, 2007

How did I get here from there?

I didn't start out to be a writer, famous or otherwise (at the moment it's otherwise!)but I was coerced into it by a Franciscan friend of mine. My husband and I were visiting the home/convent of the Franciscan Sisters of The Eucharist, Bridal Veil, Oregon. I was strolling through the grounds with Mother Mary Michael and looked up at the magnicent mansion the Sisters had rescued from a slow death. I made a statement. "Someone should write the history of this place." Quick as a flash Mother Michael posed a question, "Why don't you?"

And that's how I started writing my first book. I had to research the house from the time Dorothy and Clarence Jacobson decided to build their summer home on the banks of the Columbia River at Bridal Veil in 1917 and their choice of Morris Whitehouse as the architect to plan and oversee the building of the mansion. It was an inspired choice. He created an Italiante mansion with a long winding drive leading to the front of the house. There was a swimming pool. Rose gardens. And of course, Coopey Falls,cascaded over the rocky escarpment up behind the house.

If you are interested in reading the story of the house and its many owners, used copies of my book, The House At Bridal Veil, are for sale at Amazon.com and ABE books. Or visit my website, www.anitabirt.com for more information and a map showing how to find the House at Bridal Veil.

Enjoy the rest of the day. It's 3:51 pm on the west coast and the Blue Jays are beating the LA Dodgers!

Anita Birt
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: