Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

I am the keeper of my sister's recipe for Chocolate Cake. Helen Edna gave it to me when my children were in their early teens many moons ago. I copied it on a file card and stuck it in one of my untidy recipe note books. I am blessed that my untidy recipe books hold small treasures from years gone by.

The file card with the chocolate cake recipe is spotted with chocolate, egg and cake batter. Almost good enough to eat! As I searched my note books for the missing file card I came across recipes from friends long gone with their names and the cities we lived in. It was like going back in time when I was years younger with a growing family.

I wondered if other recipe collectors like me have recipes they will share. My sister's chocolate cake recipe has never failed me. Please join me in A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE and I will share my cake recipe with you.

I feel as if I'm following in the steps of "Julia and Julie," but strolling down memory lane is much easier than tackling The Art of French Cooking. My tattered and spotted collection of recipes make me feel as if I'm sitting in my kitchen with friends and reminds me of joyful moments in the past.

If you wish to take part, please leave a comment and jump on over to my web site for my email address. www.anitabirt.com. Attach your recipe in Word format and please make sure there are no viruses lurking on your computer or the cake might fail!

To encourage participation, I'll send a copy of my historical romance, A Very Difficult Man, to the person who sends in the fifth recipe that arrives in my mail. Thanks for coming by.

Anita

8 comments:

B is for Bow said...

Love this idea and am digging up a recipe or two!

Unknown said...

Surely not that "many moons"?

Laurann Dohner said...

What a great post and what a great idea! I'm so tired I'm seeing double but tomorrow I'll pull out my tin square can and dig out my recipes. LOL. I keep mine in an old index card tin box. I have them written on cards, pieces of paper, even a few torn out pages from magazines from twenty or so years ago. LOL.

Mimi Barbour said...

Great Blog Anita...
I'm embarrassed to say that my best recipes are stored in a big black three-ring-binder that has to be lifted from the closet very carefully to stop an avalanche of papers, cards and 'stuff' from escaping.
Only I can find whatever recipe we might need, and I admit to having difficulties at times because of the mess. But in that broken-down old binder, recipes from my past, places we’ve lived, people I’ve known are all combined in my very own treasure chest of memories. Every year I swear I’m going to fix it, make a new binder; scan all the papers and I’m scared if I change it, I might take away the magic.
Besides, I’m just to darn lazy….!!
Mimi

Anita Birt said...

Thanks, Allison. I received your lovely recipe from you Mom and shall post it on the blog. This is fun!

Anita Birt said...

Martin. Yes, it was many moons ago as you well know since you were there eating the goodies.

Anita Birt said...

Laurann, I look forward to your recipe and its ancestry. Send it along. I'm enjoying this.

Anita Birt said...

Hi Mimi. I can picture your binder of recipes My tattered little recipe books are full of recipes cut from newspapers, turned yellow with age.

So dig up one recipe with its ancestry.