Saturday, January 30, 2010

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE - with recipes

When I started this blog I hoped to receive lots of recipes to share with everyone who reads my blog. Very few so far. My blog itself is copyrighted but the recipes are yours to copy and enjoy. As promised at the beginning here is my sister's CHOCOLATE CAKE recipe. It dates back to the early 1960's when I ask Helen Edna for it.

Helen Edna's CHOCOLATE CAKE

1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Cocoa (the real thing! I use Fry's Cocoa)
1/2 cup Boiling water
Boil these three ingredients together until smooth and set aside to cool

1/2 cup Shortening or Butter (I prefer butter for the delicious flavour)
1 1/2 cups flour ( I used Cake flour)*
2 tsp. Baking Powder*
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda*
1/2 tsp. salt*

*Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together
1 Tsp pure Vanilla
1 cup Brown sugar firmly packed
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
3/4 cup Sour Milk (I squeezed some lemon juice into the milk to make it sour!)

Cream the shortening, add vanilla, the brown sugar and egg yolks. Mix well!
Add the cocoa mix. Add the flour alternately with the milk. Whip the two egg whites to soft peaks and add with the last of the flour.

Bake in a 8"x8" greased pan at 350 deg. F for about 50 minutes or until done.

Enjoy my sister's recipe. Let me know how it turns out.
I'd love to hear from you who read my blog. I want lots and lots of recipes! I have many I could add but this is for YOU not me.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

1 comment:

B is for Bow said...

You are quite right in that this recipe never fails and is scrumptious!
Thank you.