Sunday, May 9, 2010

MY MEMORY PROJECT

Oh hell, I pressed the wrong button and sent off a blog with the title only. I saw The Hubble at the IMAX two days ago and am still overwhelmed at the enormity of the universe. I can't even imagine a light year. The last picture the Hubble sent back to earth was mind boggling. It seemed to be a photo of the farthest reaches of the universe as we know it. The image stays in my mind.

I turn back to earthly things and wonder why am I here and does it really matter. Not a bit. Our planet is a tiny speck and we earthlings travel with it around the sun until ... until I shake off "this mortal coil."

Chatting over dinner tonight, one of my friends said she has turned to the Bible to re-read the stories of Abraham and Job. I'm interested in creation myths. Our Christian myth is written beautifully in the King James version on the Bible. I prefer it to the new editions where the music of the verses has been lost.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters..."

There is so much beauty in those words and the words that follow I wonder at the genius of the men and women who wrote them.

The creation of the King James Bible is a wonderful story in itself. The book is called, God's Secretary. A friend is lending me his copy when he and his wife leave for a year to live in Dubai.

Thanks for coming by. Leave a comment or drop me an e-mail at anita.birt@gmail.com

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: