Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MY MEMORY PROJECT (continued)

"Look on the bright side. Yes, your attitude does matter." Being an aged person, as I am, means there may be a day or days when looking on the bright side takes an effort. I won't go into my details. We're all so different.

Any older person reading my blog must have days when getting up in the morning requires a mental push when the body would rather stay put. I have a friend who has many health problems and some mornings it takes a huge effort for her to get out of bed and start the day.

Her attitude is positive. Staying in bed is not an option for her. She plans her day. Organizing her paints - she has her colour charts in order. What shall she paint? Flowers? A bowl of fruit? The gorgeous rhodo bush in the garden? When she tires, she'll clean up her paints and read or take a short nap. Napping is good for older folks.

As for me, I realized I have to write fiction because it makes me feel good. Penning the story of P.I. Egg is fun but I am drawn to a different cast of characters. They are inhabiting my brain and are not fully fledged for me to begin writing. First things first. Fully develop the important characters before setting them loose.

Does anyone care to comment on what cheers you when you do not feel particularly cheerful?
Is your normal attitude positive? I see older people walking around with glum faces and wonder why?

Laughter is the best medicine. If you want something to brighten your day, read, "ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN," By Robert Fulghum. Google the title and up it will come; guaranteed to lift your spirits.

Leave a comment should you so desire. I'd enjoy hearing from senior citizens as to their likes and dislikes. Once upon a time we older folks were encouraged to rock in a chair and knit socks (for women) men could whittle, I guess. No more rocking chairs, we have to get out and about and rock the world.

Anita Birt
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: