Saturday, May 15, 2010

MY MEMORY PROJECT

"One of the best exercises for the brain is the acquisition of new information and knowledge." This was a promo to encourage residents were I live to attend lectures on Astronomy. I think most us are curious about "what's out there?" Seems to me the wonderful pictures Hubble sends back to we earthlings from way, way out there in the farthest reaches of the universe poses more questions than it answers.

How did the universe begin? A big bang? If so what made it bang? The ancient writers developed their own theories. God made it happen. I leave you to mull over that one.

Back to more manageable ideas. "The key to aging well: laugh it up."That's the heading on a Q&A column by Erin Anderson, Globe and Mail columnist, as she questions author Lyndsay Green about her book, "You Could Live a Long Time: Are you ready?"

I shall quote from the column. "In your opening chapter, you give some simple advice: Be charming. Is one of the most important lessons of aging well making sure you are fun to hang out with?"

Ms Green thinks it's absolutely essential. She goes on, "You aren't offering them networking opportunities or career advancement prospects. Who will hang out with you when all you have is yourself?"

Then there is a book titled, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. "Looking for happiness? Try singing. That's a bit of advice in Rubin's book. There's a lot more in her book but she's not the only one writing about happiness and laughter and goofy fun. Who besides me reads the comic, Pearls Before Swine by Stephen Pastis? I wish I could download his wonderful comic about the passing of his father-in-law, a gentleman named Rick Daniels. It was a tribute to a man "so filled with love, it's like all he wanted was to make others around him happy."

I have quoted copyright material and hope I'm forgiven.

"Happines is good for your heart. A giggle a day keeps the ticker in play." A quote from The Globe and Mail. More about that tomorrow or the next day, depends on when I sit down at my computer and think happy thoughts about this and that.

Want to share some of your happy thoughts or happy advice with me. Leave a comment at the end of this blog or drop me a line at: anita.birt@gmail.com I'll be happy to include your words of wisdom on my blog crediting you with them. How do we age well when aches and pains plague us and it's not easy to dredge up a smile.?

Anita Birt
www.anitabirt.com

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Hi Anita! i came visiting after remembering your historical A DIFFICULT MAN and see I missed more! Great to visit your blog! I need to find a way to follow it since you don't have that area up where we can follow the blog. I'm so bad at remembering, LOL.

As I've gone through so much with my health the last couple of years, I know that if I 'feel' too much of it physically and emotionally, it really makes it worse. So I figured "To have the joys in my life, I have to put them there! And that's what I do. I have today, so I'm going to have joy in it!" One of them is reading, laughing with my kids and hubby, playing with my two cats, and more. So I make sure that I put time aside each day for my joys.

Thanks for letting me share. Cathie
cathiecaffey(at)gmail.com

Anita Birt said...

What a wonderful idea - put time aside every day for a joyful moment or two.

I'll have to figure out how to make my blog easy to follow. I shall ask a clever person, i.e. my grandson who knows a lot about computers and blog.

Thanks for stopping by.