Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Anita Birt's Note Book

I have ordered an interesting book on my Kindle. It's called, Soucouyant,  It's name comes from a demon of Trinidadian folk lore. The name rings a bell for me. My mother lived in Trinidad with her family and she heard all these tales as a child. She told the stories to my sister, brother and me and the story about the Soucouyant woman sticks in my head.

She was a demon who used to take her skin off at night and hide it under a bush, then she'd go about tormenting people and forcing them to pay to remove the spell she'd cast. But one night, a young man saw her take off her skin. When she was out of sight he filled a bucket with brine and soaked her skin in it, then he rinsed off the skin and placed it under the bush.

When she returned her skin had shrunk and she couldn't get it on. She went about crying "skin, skin don't you know me now...? Chant it aloud in a Trinidadian accent! My mother did when she told us the tale.

My romantic suspense, TOO YOUNG TO DIE is available in e-format or trade paperback. It's a real page turner and has had great reviews.

www.anitabirt.com

Anita


No comments: