Friday, March 29, 2013

Anita Birt's Note Book on STAYING YOUNG

Staying Young? Younger than what? It doesn't bear thinking about. We are born, we live and we eventually grow old. And then? Just when we think we can sit back, rock in a chair and knit socks that nobody wants, we are urged to get up.

Oh bloody hell. Get up and exercise. "But my favourite program is on the telly." Doesn't matter. Forgot daytime television. Exercise makes you feel good. It's good for your brain.

My brain is tired. It needs a rest. I've raised a family. I've had a good marriage. I'm teetering on the brink of ninety!!! A friend is celebrating her one hundredth birthday this month. She does not exercise and her brain is ticking over just fine. Her hearing has gone all to hell and her eyes aren't that wonderful but she is enjoying life.

Then I read about an old gent celebrating his one hundredth birthday by running a marathon. I mean, let's be sensible, running marathons is for those who enjoy suffering. Watch them at the end of a marathon, they lie on the ground writhing and gasping and maybe hoping for a quick death to stop the pain. But no. They are helped to their feet and vow to enter the next bloody race.

Stay young if you can, if not do the next best thing, age gracefully and dispense wisdom to young and old until you bore them to tears and then they'll go away and leave you to be OLD. Not particularly wise. Not particularly pleasant. And no matter how much Botox is used and "work done on your face," there is no way to remove old age wrinkles. Smile and make another one or two.

Have fun. I'm off to write a book. Wish me luck.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: