Thursday, August 1, 2013

Anita Birt's Note Book and things of interest

On my July 4th blog I mentioned my daugher-in-law's father's Al Smith whose aircraft had been shot down over France on July 4, 1944. The crew all survived thanks to the French farmers who sheltered them before someone in the network betrayed them to the Gestapo. Al, his crew and other captured airmen were thrown in Buchenvald concentration  camp.

Al was in the RCAF, 419 Moose Squadron. Their motto was Fear The Moose.

He and the others who were shot down in flames, eventually walked out of the camp  (Russians were coming and he German guards ran away) The men walked to the Baltic Sea, Al weighed 90 lbs when he was rescued.

The men who survived and escaped were awarded the Caterpillar Pin. A much prized pin. Al was 92 when he passed away. Not many survivors left to tell the tale.

As he floated down that night he saw Chartres cathedral.

As for me. I am progressing with editing of my book. Adding bits, taking out bits. I like my story whether a publisher will is a moot point. Great Summer weather. Great for walking by the sea where there is always a cool breeze.

Leave a comment if you feel like it.

Anita Birt



No comments: